Fostering & employment status

Will I be employed by Orange Grove, or self-employed?

Foster care allowances are counted as income, so when you become a foster carer you’ll need to register as self-employed with the HMRC and pay national insurance contributions and any taxes you are liable for direct to them. You can register online and should do so as soon as possible after becoming a carer.

HMRC have put together a guide for foster carers to make the process as simple as possible. This covers everything you need to know about how to register, keep the correct records and send the right information to HMRC.