Foster care allowance rates
How much you are paid as a foster parent depends on a number of factors, including:
- The local authority or independent fostering agency you work with
- Your experience and the length of time you've been fostering
- The age and number of children in your care
- The placement type - for example, you may receive a higher payment for specialist fostering such as parent and child fostering
- Where you live - for example, we offer higher payments to those living within London to cover the higher cost of living
A career in fostering
Foster care payments cover the cost of caring for a child or young person while providing you with a professional fee so that you can dedicate your time to fulfilling the needs of children in care, rather than seeking additional employment - although, some may still wish to work and foster.
This makes becoming a foster parent a viable career option for anybody who wants to make a difference to a child’s life.